Peaceful

Peaceful

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Bounce On Bouncy Ball

  The funniest thing I've seen in a long time happened yesterday, just outside of Michaels over on the west side of Colorado Springs. Me and my daughter came out of the store and my daughter stopped me and said, "Look, Mom!" Two grown women suddenly stopped on the sidewalk and stared at this teeny, tiny (probably) about an inch big, rubber bouncy ball, rolling along down the road. The ball rolled about 20 feet or so until it got to the intersection and landed, ker-plop, in a pothole - right at the same time that a car came whizzing by. I thought for sure that the poor little ball was going to be squished. My daughter and I walked to the intersection. I couldn't see the ball that well since it blended in with the road, after all, it was a black bouncy ball. My daughter could see it though and walked into the intersection to retrieve it. Fortunately, there wasn't that much traffic. I asked her if it had been squished and she said "No, it's just dirty." I took the ball, wiped it off and kept it.

What a journey that little black, bouncy ball had gone on. I don't know where it came from. If some little kid had just bought it from a gumball machine from a store up the road from Michaels? Maybe Ross or PetsMart? Did the little kid drop it? Was he now crying because he or she felt like they had lost a treasure? How did that little ball get on the road? Where did it come from?  What dangers had it encountered before it got to this one particular intersection? How fortutitous for there to be a pothole to fall into at the same time that a car came along... Who knew that two women standing on the side of the road would be so enchanted at the sight of a little ball whizzing by that we would go and rescue it?



Isn't that just like life? Who knows why we are here for such a time as this? Who knows that those times when we feel like we have come to a standstill, (in a pothole so to speak), that God might only be protecting us? Who knows when that day will be when God will retrieve us, wipe the dirt off of us and take us home? In return, those who have not ended their journey feel like they have lost a treasure. Meanwhile, we carry on because there is still much more work to do!

Work, for the Day is coming,
  Day in the Word foretold,
When, 'mid the scenes triumphant,
  Longed for by saints of old,
He, who on earth a stranger
  Traversed its paths of pain,
Jesus, the Prince, the Savior,
  Comes evermore to reign

Source: http://www.hymnal.net/hymn.php/h/897#ixzz1JzfWyTHN
Be the Ball!!!

1 comment:

  1. At first I thought, why are you two watching a tiny bouncy ball and following after it? [big smile] But you're blog took me to just the place I needed to go this morning! I love you Deb. Thank you for your obedience in writing this.

    ReplyDelete